How Can I Get Help Paying My Electric Bill?

How Can I Get Help Paying My Electric Bill?

Assistance is available to help you pay your electric bill. DTE Energy has a program called the Low Income Self-Sufficiency Plan, also known as LSP. The LSP is a payment plan for eligible families. The requirements are income-based. If you qualify for this program you make a monthly payment you can afford. The rest of the monthly bill is paid using energy assistance funds.

The LSP is a twenty-four month program. Documentation of income and energy usage must be evaluated on an annual basis. Your income must be equal to or less than 150% of the federal poverty guidelines. Your energy usage over the last twelve months must be comparable with the average annual usage for a residential utility customer.

DTE may require you to have been approved for State Emergency Relief before it allows you into the LSP. The following human service agencies have partnered with DTE to perform the annual validation of income and utility usage: United Way for Southeastern; THAW​; The Salvation; True; Michigan Community; St. Vincent de Paul​; United Way of Jackson County Michigan; and Superior Watershed Partnership

The above information is a general overview and is not intended to be used as legal advice. If you are considering filing for bankruptcy, the best thing to do is call our office at 248-557-3645 and schedule a free consultation so you can receive advice which is tailored to your specific circumstances.

By:​Michael Benkstein, Esq.

Managing Attorney, Bankruptcy Department

The Law Offices of Joumana Kayrouz, PLLC

1000 Town Center

Suite 800

Southfield, MI 48075

(phone) 248-557-3645

(fax) 248-200-0645


Recent Posts

See All

Leave a Reply

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap